The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Sunday 30 November 2014

The countdown to Christmas has officially begun!

This week has been one of two halves. At the beginning of the week, my students were really annoying me by well, being typical students! They kept turning up late so I took matters into my own hands and decided to start locking the door at the beginning of the lesson. With one class, which is supposed to have 45 students in only having 23 once my door locking method commenced, I hope it will result in a full house next week. Ellis 1: students 0.

Wednesday was a much better day because I had a proper pamper afternoon. Janet and I went to get our nails done and then ventured to Metro, the huge foreign supermarket on her side of the city. It was a very successful, if mostly alcoholic shop. I even managed to get proper bacon!! I was far too excited after two months without bacon sandwiches.

That evening, Dean and I took Brendan out for a pre-thanskgiving meal, although the food itself wasn’t very American. We had some of my favourite dishes including tofu noodles, crispy chicken and hot, spicy cabbage. We then carried on the ‘Thanksthrilling’ celebrations by watching the most random film ever – Predestination. My brain actually hurt from working out the plot and without my glasses, it was an interesting evening.

Thursday was Thanskgiving! As the majority of my friends in Wuhan are American, I am officially allowed to celebrate it this year. Sadly, it was just a normal day with teaching in the morning and tutoring the kids at night. One thing I have realised is that the Chinese really love substituting children and not thinking of telling me. This week, one child called Orange was poorly so they brought the devil child (which I swear I banned from my class a few weeks back) in as a replacement! I wasn’t overly impressed by his return so I insisted that his parents sit in to control him. It didn’t exactly work so I’m just praying that Orange returns soon!

I didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving until the Friday night, when I went to another teacher’s apartment for a house party. Everyone had to take some food and drink, and then we ended up having dance offs all evening. For the party, I made some Irish soda bread, which was amazing dipped in the turkey gravy! Dean and I didn’t end up leaving until 5am and then spent the next hour trying to flag a taxi in the pouring rain. 6am = bedtime after a long walk home and seeing people getting ready to open their shops and restaurants as we were ready to sleep. The noodle places were drying their noodles with fans, as apparently it is part of the process – very bizarre!
Thanksgiving buffet!

My irish soda bread

Olivi and his turkey

Poor Will!

And so the warm up begins

My face says it all
My favourite picture from the night

Dad dancing at it's finest


It was very difficult to get out of bed on Saturday morning after getting home so late. But I had my volunteering to go to at 2ish so I woke up and made a bacon sandwich which made me feel tons better and then traipsed in the pouring rain (why is foreign rain always so much heavier?) to Mr Mai’s. The kids club was good fun and I got to sit and do colouring and crosswords for a good couple of hours. I even coloured a picture of scarecrow to help influence the children’s creativity. I also had to take part in a few sing-a-long Christmas songs and then after the kids club finished, I kindly accepted a tuna sandwich and a rest. Children are so tiring! Saturday evening was very spontaneous and after Skyping my dad for his birthday, Dean and I ventured out into the pouring rain (again!) for dumplings with hot sauce and then watched the film, Lucy. Another bizarre film but it was a good plot. I definitely went to bed at 10pm as I was exhausted from the Thanksgiving party.

Today is Sunday and Christmas has come early to my apartment! I have spent the morning putting up my decorations that my mum sent me, whilst listening to Christmas carols. I am very excited to tuck into my advent calendar tomorrow! This afternoon, Dean and I went to Huquan market, which sells everything from clothes to accessories and shoes. I even saw some random pool tables which people were free to go and play on! I also got to try some amazing street food – spicy fried chicken and dumplings for the grand total of £1.20. I am going to have a shock when I go home to England and buy food.


Christmas cards and advent calendar!

Christmas tablecloth with my miniature tree!

Painstakingly handmade Christmas bunting (had to thread the letters for ages!)

Christmas paper chains!


Snowman!
This evening I have watched a Christmas film and cooked spaghetti bolgonese (I finally found beef mince!) and so tonight, I am going to relax before the madness of teaching starts again tomorrow. I am also hoping that the rain stops soon. All the Chinese are saying that it will last for ten days but I don’t think me or my umbrella can take much more Wuhan rain so fingers crossed for sunny weather soon.....