The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Thursday 6 November 2014

“Ellis, all you seem to do is visit supermarkets.....”

This was the lovely comment made by my mum during one of our Skype sessions. And it’s true! Since arriving I have no idea how to get to the tourist attractions but I could show you all the best supermarkets in the area. Whoops.

Halloween was amazing! My costume was definitely on the small side (child’s costume, don’t care) but it was good to see everyone had made the effort. Even some Chinese people had dressed up, although I’m not sure they knew why they were wearing a costume. My students in my classes were very baffled by Halloween....

Pumpkin!

Pumpkin!
He thinks he's actually Superman...

Paul with his WHOLE bottle of Jack Daniel's and a shot of coke...

Halloween night out!

I have no idea what any of them are...

 On Saturday, it was Mr Mai’s for volunteering, which was really funny. I led this game where you have pictures and have to create a story in a group of people. In one story, we had aliens, a woman surfing her way across earth and a car crash – I don’t think it will become a bestseller. I also had dinner with Mr and Mrs Mai and I had curry! Oh my life, I had chicken tikka with chapattis, SALAD and garlic mayonnaise. I think I was loving life from this for about two days afterwards.

On Sunday I went to a food street with Dean and we just had a walk and then found a tiny noodle bar to eat at. It was freezing, especially as we were sat outside so I was very happy to see piping hot beef noodles in front of me! I can’t really remember the afternoon or evening but I think copious amounts of Yorkshire tea and the heating on full blast were involved. Yes, I have finally accepted that summer is over and reluctantly put my heating on. By heating I mean putting the air conditioning on 30 degrees Celsius in the bedrooms constantly. The buildings in Wuhan have no insulation at all, so the sliding door are useless for keeping heat in. The crazy thing is, Chinese people like being in cold temperatures! In my classes, the students arrive early and open all the windows and then sit in about 90 layers of clothing. I am a true Brit in cold weather and want to be perfectly warm in a t-shirt. In fact, if it gets too hot I just open a window. Thank goodness electricity is cheap over here!

Food street!

Niu rou mian - Beef noodle soup


On Monday, I finish my classes at 8pm and then get the last bus home. Well, that’s the plan anyway. However this week, the bus driver decided that he didn’t want to take the normal route and instead we could be transferred to another bus after travelling in the opposite direction. Cue tired and mardy Ellis stomping home and eating crisps for dinner. Why are the Chinese so awkward?! On the plus side, my late lesson was brilliant and the students are hilarious.

One of my main aims in coming to China was to learn how to cook authentic Chinese food and my friend Janet helped make this happen. We went grocery shopping on Wednesday morning and then made some food together. She even brought her rice cooker! What amazed me is how particular she was over the food. She washed the vegetables about three times each and the rice was attacked by water. To top it off, she rinsed ALL the dishes and cutlery before we used it! I think she was trying to tell me something.....

Clockwise from top left - Mushrooms with pork sausage; sour and spicy potatoes; garlic broccoli and soy wine chicken with peppers.


Yesterday was a crazy day! Considering I only work 15 hours a week I never seem to have much free time anymore. I woke at 6.30am (this time isn’t getting any easier); walked to class; taught a lesson on Halloween and Bonfire night – yes, I have free reign over the topics; walked back home; cleaned my apartment; did two loads of washing and hung it all out to dry; walked back to my teaching building; met my Chinese friend, Odille and we grabbed some lunch before trekking to Hankou to collect my residence permit; got a taxi home because I couldn’t hack anymore public transport; went supermarket shopping; nipped to Dean’s for a cuppa; tutored my crazy 4 year old children about Halloween and FINALLY sat down and ate my dinner at 8.30pm. I don’t think I have ever walked so much in one day.....

Mini pork dumplings in a broth - the most difficult things to eat ever.


Today is Friday and guess who has the day off?! The freshers have a sports day (I swear my sports days stopped when I was 15?) and so I got to have a lie-in. I am feeling very domesticated for once and so I am going to make chicken chasseur with roast potatoes and garlic broccoli for dinner....YUM! And then, of course, it’s wine o’clock tonight. Bring on the shots! Let’s hope I feel okay in the morning....

My freebie grill oven - roast potatoes here I come!


xxxxxx

p.s. Here is how to decorate your apartment when in China.

1) Claim a canvas from an empty apartment and place anywhere it will stay – in this case, a hook in the lounge.

DIY at its finest...


2) Buy pegs, hooks and some sort of orange string and create a card display. If you are not sure of these words in Chinese, Google image search them and show them to innocent shopkeepers. An excellent focal point for any room. May I also add that my pegs are corn on the cob themed and one of my hooks is a panda, which only add to the effect.

My good luck cards

Focal point of my living room now 


3) Buy bottle of wine. Drink bottle of wine and rinse. This should only take about 5 minutes, if using a glass is slowing the process then resort to ‘strawpedoing’ it. Then take scissors and collect twigs from the local area. Arrange in wine bottle and hang decorations from it...(This will happen at the weekend).