The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Sunday 23 November 2014

Ninja turtle cocktails are always a good idea.....

It’s Sunday and I am officially dead after a crazy weekend. The week itself was pretty quiet and I spent my free time getting all my lesson plans sorted for the rest of the semester. I also had to write the exam for my students, which feels very strange seeing as it’s only been a couple of years since I was taking exams at uni!

My tutoring on Thursday evening was really good fun. We were learning colours, but one child responded with ‘sit down’ for every single colour....am I really that bossy? I have also arranged with the parents to have a Christmas party for them and I am so excited! I haven’t played games like pass the parcel and musical chairs in years but I think my years of birthday party attendances at school will put me in good stead. These children aren’t ever going to want to go to a Chinese birthday party ever again.

Friday evening was spent volunteering at Mr Mai’s and I had some brilliant conversations with some guys about cockney rhyming slang. So when I left, I walked down the apples and pears (stairs!). At 9pm when I finished, I decided it would be an excellent idea to go and try out the bar right next door, which had a see through top floor! It was a very eventful evening. I was supposed to pre drink here and then go to see my friend DJ. Oh no, with a bar woman not bothering to measure the units and giving me a whisky tumbler full of tequila for a £1, I ended up going home very early. I did have some amazing drinks though, such as a ninja turtle! The night ended with me ordering some barbeque food in Chinese - what an expert.

Ninka turtle cocktail!

See through floor!


Chinese takeaway

On Saturday, I felt okay and went food shopping. In the afternoon, after a cheeky waffle and pink lemonade, I went to see Interstellar at the cinema which was incredible. Chinese cinemas have HUGE screens and the films are in English, which surprised me. However, during the film, the woman next to me had pretty much bought a whole picnic with her and she looked very pleased with herself when a WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN appeared. I will never understand why she spent the next three hours trying to carve the chicken with chopsticks.

Pink lemonade!

As I’d made Irish soda bread that morning, I took some over to Dean and it ended up with me agreeing to go back out again in the evening. We went down to Optics Valley and to an Irish bar called Captain Jacks. You can take your own food into bars in China so there was me and Olivi sat eating chicken and bacon wraps at midnight! We left the bar to check out a Chinese club called MOMO’s and were greeted by a red carpet. So far, so good. However, I think we were in the club for about thirty seconds because it was a Chinese woman wailing and overpriced drinks.

Onto plan B, five of us squeezed into a taxi and headed to Prison. This is where this Chinese boy was determined to keep buying me drinks, even though I didn’t want to drink. Cue Mel and I hiding behind a post as she had to keep drinking the sambuca he bought me. Nightmare! We all ended up going back to Dean’s for an after-party. I was the life and soul of the party and fell asleep as soon as I sat down. Brilliant.

Rocking the red carpet into MOMO


How many foreigners can we get into one taxi?


Cannot handle two nights in a row - I do look tanned though!

Cue Sunday morning or should I say afternoon and after waking up ridiculously late today, I ventured down to cultural festival. This festival is held at Wuhan University campus and different countries have food and souvenirs to buy. It was a refreshing change to try some other foods so I had a spicy chicken patty from Mali, jerk pork kebabs from Congo and some form of spring roll from Vietnam. We were also persuaded by some students to buy jelly, in order to have our picture taken with an Instagram board, which was hilarious. There we were, in the rain, posing with jelly!
Culture festival!


Buy a jelly, get a photo free


Arabic dancing

Yes there is a yurt

The arabic men warming up for the show...

Jerk pork kebabs from Congo!
This afternoon I have cooked a hearty meal because it’s cold and I miss English food. The apple crumble was the best thing ever! And this evening I have Skyped people from home, including my mum, sister and friends from uni! It’s so nice to see faces you know and miss. It’s my sister’s birthday tomorrow and I’m gutted that I can’t be there but I’m going to Skype her later on.

Night all
xxx