The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Saturday 20 June 2015

How do I sum up a year abroad?

I can’t think of a name for this final blog about my time in China, because using words like ‘goodbye’ and ‘end’ make it seem so final. And I can’t get over the fact that this is my last week in Wuhan and in a few days, my life will overhaul completely. I’m saying goodbye to a 12 hour working week, guaranteed shorts and t-shirt weather and 40p dumplings and I’m not sure how I feel about this.

The past month has been very strange, as I subconsciously have started to detach myself from my life here, telling myself that this is the last time I’ll get Mann Coffee, or visit H&M at Baotong Temple. I’ve had to start saying goodbye to restaurant owners, who I’ve actually got to know incredibly well over the past nine months (big shout out to the woman who provided me with 40p dumplings thrice weekly and the drink guy who knew my order by heart). Even the vegetable lady looked slightly disheartened when I told her this was my last shop, although I did get a free pepper so I may have to use this excuse on others!

I can still remember arriving into Wuhan, and thinking I’d made the biggest mistake of my life when it was 35 degrees, I had no air con in my apartment and nobody understood me when trying to buy anything (the interpretative dance of the plunger will stay with me forever). I also remember living off crisps and bread for at least 3 weeks until I forced myself to learn basic Chinese (still can’t say much more than food, but I’m an absolute pro at vegetables and meat).

I visited some amazing places around China and if I’d been here longer, it would definitely have been on my itinerary to travel a lot more. It’s true what they say that each province in China is like entering a whole new world. From the food to the language, it’s hard to believe driving an hour out of the city greets you with rolling hills and smog free air. Whilst on the subject of city living, I cannot wait to get back to my suburban, peaceful life in England. City living in England is one thing, but you add over-population, air pollution and general Chinese idiocy and travelling across the city can take all day. Transport has been endlessly frustrating but the plus side of this is how much I’ve walked during this year abroad. At least 6 kilometres everyday (and that’s just my commute to work), which has saved me having to go the gym. Always a bonus!

So, how do you sum up a year abroad? I’m guessing through the experiences, memories and laughs, which I hope I’ve captured by doing this blog. And I owe a huge thanks to you all for reading it and religiously following me (cue concerned messages when I forgot the ONE time on Sunday). It’s like a check-in that I’m still alive and breathing (well barely due to air pollution problems) when you all settle down for a Sunday read. I only started it so my mum and dad knew what I’d been up to, because they aren’t planning on getting Facebook anytime soon, but it escalated pretty quickly into something of a Sunday ritual for most people.

Everyone says going abroad teaches you something about yourself and it sounds really cheesy, but it’s completely true. Living by myself for the first time, having my first ever graduate job, living in a country where I can’t speak the language fantastically well, and moving here without knowing a soul has definitely moulded me into a more patient, adaptable and spontaneous person. I will take a lot from this experience (although maybe not the food recipes as I don’t think chicken feet soup will be a favourite back in England) and I will remember it forever. But for now, it’s time to come home and see my amazing friends and family, have an ice-cold cider in the pub, nip to Asda for a pork pie and finish that darn Masters of mine.


P.S. It’s Sunday 21st June, that’s three days until I leave China and I still haven’t started packing or clearing out my apartment. I vowed that I’d never make this mistake again after leaving packing this late at uni reduced me to shoving everything in Asda carrier bags approximately three hours before my dad arrived. The year after, I did this but whilst hungover and eating ham on toast to get me through. So basically, I’ll never learn but I’m hoping danger packing will give me slightly more motivation. Wish me luck.....