The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Saturday 18 April 2015

“I’ll give you an English name....”

I’ve lost track of the amount of English names that I’ve given to Chinese nationals since moving here, but I always enjoy giving them names. Take my children that I tutor for example, 90% of those are names by moi (except the child named orange because that really isn’t a helpful name when learning colours). Anyway, my story is that whilst shopping for a suitcase – which I will explain later – I ended giving the shop assistant a name and she looked utterly chuffed.

However, starting in order, on Monday I went to tutor my mental 7 year olds and it was Bruce’s birthday (I definitely did not name him). I was surprised that I was still able to tutor because no child in Britain would happily sit through tutoring knowing that a birthday cake is imminent. After finishing the class, I was ‘invited’ to stay behind for cake and conversation, which actually entailed physically restraining the kids so they didn’t lick the cake before it was lit and getting asked by another parent “you tutor my child now?”. I don’t know what she was expecting me to do with a 9 year old at 8.30pm, seeing as I was clutching some birthday cake and struggling to keep my eyes open. I muttered an excuse about Skype and ran away before she managed to get a group of kids together!


Chinese birthday cake

Tuesday rolled around and it started amazingly productively, with 4 lessons planned by 11am. This was definitely enough for one day and so I met Brooke for lunch at JJ’s so we could eat delicious chicken and flatbread and salad and GARLIC MAYONNAISE in the sunshine. The waitress, Lucy took a shine to us and we enjoyed our meal and service thoroughly. The only issue was when visiting the toilet, as it looked like something out of a horror movie. It was painted black, with pipes everywhere and a creepy door leading somewhere at the end *shudders*. After stuffing ourselves, we hopped on the metro to Optics Valley in search of a suitcase for my hand luggage on the way home.

A cheeky diversion to H&M later and then we wandered around the mall. It was seriously warm by now (why I wore jeans I’ll never know) but armed with a tape measure, I was a woman on a mission. A 20p green tea ice-cream quickly solved my heat problems. The shop assistants had no idea what was going on as we measured different cases. Before actually finding a suitcase, we also managed to peruse other shops and ended up with those things that you make your own ice-lollies with (we’re making sangria ones at the weekend) and numerous headbands and a key rings. We were pretty tired by this point but luckily, my suitcase was in sight. I found a beautiful red one and the shop assistant loved us. She gave my suitcase and Brooke’s rucksack a discount, and in return, she earned herself the English name ‘Mimi’. All parties happy, we headed to get some dinner.


Optics Valley mall

Ice skating rink at the bottom!


Popsicle maker


My new case!

We sat on some outside steps whilst eating and were amazed, astounded and hilarified (I think I’ve just made that word up) by people in general. One girl was walking along with her boyfriend when she just suddenly stopped, knelt down and proceeded to ‘nap’ whilst massaged by her boyfriend. The shopping was obviously too much to take. Other things included squatting on a seating area – because sitting is unhygienic apparently -  and a guy dressed in a full suit asleep on a bench. How did he even get to a mall? Surely you go home to nap.....

On Wednesday, I woke up exhausted. The kind where your eyes feel gritty and you’re yawning for hours. Luckily, my class was really on the ball at the software school so my lesson itself went pretty quick. After teaching, I headed to Brooke’s house in Hanyang on the subway and then had to follow directions from her because the usual subway exit was inaccessible. Cue me balancing a coffee, McDonald’s breakfast in a bag, umbrella and phone whilst trying not to kill myself in the ghetto that is Hanyang. It doesn’t even have roads. I only just made it alive, we had breakfast, and chilled for a while (it was too much hassle to order two breakfasts so we had to share a sausage and egg muffin – my life). For lunch, we had a fantastic plan to go to Aloha diner, a bus ride from her apartment. We actually got seats on the bus and happily trotted off 15 minutes later.

We were the only people in the restaurant when entering, but that was no issue as we were just here for the food. I ordered an oreo milkshake and fish and chips. Not quite British style but it was boneless and came with vegetables so I was exceedingly happy. During our meal, an adorable little girl came in with her mum and it turned out that she was half-French, half-Chinese. Then, a little American baby came in and was gurgling away. We had to leave soon after before we ended up stealing a child.


Fish and chips - first piece of fish since leaving England!

On the subway home

Our plan after this was to be culture vultures and head to see some historical monument but instead we went back to Brooke’s and within 5 minutes of a film going on, I was dribbling all over myself and napping on her bed. It was fabulous. After waking up, I got myself back home in a daze and the nap obviously worked wonders, as I had a super productive afternoon of planning and life organising.

Thursday started with a nice lie-in and then it was time to get things done. Washing, cleaning, planning and then printing from a local shop. However, their computer didn’t take a shine to my travel insurance documents and out of the 23 pages, it only managed to print 4. I obviously didn’t want a segment of my document and so cue lots of Chinese irateness before he finally understood that I wasn’t paying for half a document. Ellis 1: Man 0. My tutoring that night was a completely mixed bag with the first half being completely mental (think children opening balcony doors and ‘pretending to sleep’. However, the magic of a story solves all problems and the second half was so calm and serene, I actually felt like Miss Honey from Matilda. The parents also enjoyed my talents as I was offered a savoury donut for the ‘difficult’ journey down the stairs to get back home.

On Friday, I met Paul for lunch after class. We went to JJ’s again, purely because it was close for both of us and sat outside in the sunshine, whilst I helped him with a few things. After a quick trip to his apartment and a gift of guiyuin flower oil (from his recent trip), we headed to my work before I walked home. It was so humid and hot I felt horrible in my clothes that were suitable at 7am that morning. I had an amazing shower and made sangria popsicles ready for imminent summer. I was going to go out that night but everyone was staying in, so I did the same with a pizza and loads of catch-up TV.


Lunch with Paul

Enjoying my food in the warm weather

On Saturday, I woke up at 7am, had a word with myself and then managed to sleep in until 10am, before getting up. After a chilled morning, Marie and Brooke came over and we worked on our scrapbooks for our year in China. I lovingly prepared sangria and sangria popsicles, and Christmas pudding and German spiced biscuits – what an excellent array. Brooke arrived early and Marie super late but we sat at my dining table for 7 hours – dedicated scrap bookers. We did have a small break for eating dinner, at a local restaurant, before I ran home because it had started raining. The meal itself was amazing as always, and we got the same dishes because the food is that good.


German biscuit

Sangria ice-lolly to cool down


Waiting for our food in the restaurant

Oh dear...

Scrapbooking

Hard at work...

About to try her first ever Christmas pudding

It was even better in April

The Christmas pudding did not go down well and neither of them were very keen, but luckily they both liked the German biscuits. After a busy evening I went to sleep completely exhausted. On Sunday morning, Brooke Skyped her family from America and I spoke to them as well. The questions I was asked were hilarious including:

"What's the difference between dessert and pudding?"
"What is a Yorkshire pudding?"
"When do you have tea?"

I loved answering these questions and they seemed to enjoy my incredible (awful) knowledge of America. After Skyping, another round of scrapbooking and watching some TV, we walked down the hill to get lunch. I ordered what I always have - vegetable noodles, but instead I got this pork noodle medley. It was just as good so I ate it! Brooke then had to leave because she's teaching this afternoon and I walked back up to come home. I stopped off for one carrot (yes, just one carrot for 13p) and then relaxed before tutoring in the afternoon.