The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Sunday 4 January 2015

The start of 2015.....

My meal with Odille and her friends was lovely. They took me to a hotpot restaurant, where the tables had mini hotplates for each person, so that you cook your own food and control the temperature! The food was incredible; we had everything from mushrooms and tofu to shrimps and tortoise jelly! They also got me a Christmas present and then wouldn’t let me pay for dinner! It was a really nice afternoon. 

All the condiments







My hotpot!


My gifts - hat, scarf and gloves


In the evening, I went to the spa with Janet. The building itself was very grand and the spa was incredibly clean. We first handed in our shoes to get flip-flops, and then went into the changing rooms. Here, we got some delightful floral pyjamas to change into and then headed upstairs to get some dinner! I tried turtle for the first time (it was horrible) and drank milk with rice floating around in it – it was like drinking rice pudding. After eating, we went into a room to relax before heading down into the sauna and steam rooms. After having showers and using all the products (definitely had to guess which one was the shampoo) I tried to take the subway home. However, it was so busy I ended up getting a taxi. I cannot wait for all the students to go home so that everywhere is quieter!




On Tuesday evening, I went to a New Year gala for foreign teachers of Wuhan University. After a 45 minute walk across campus (Janet, my boss promised 30!), we arrived at a very posh building and sat down at the table for the show to begin. The show was hardly a show – 3 acts including German singing, Chinese violinists happened, and then it was announced that the buffet was open, whilst a couple more acts performed. Therefore, we were eating our food as the show was going on, which to me was a very strange concept. However, the food was amazing (sweet and sour pork with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on was a particular highlight) and I knew most of the other teachers around my table so it was a good, yet bizarre evening.



My boss, Janet and I






Wednesday was New Year’s Eve and after having exams in the morning, I came home and cleaned my apartment, then started getting ready for the evening. The plan was to meet at a restaurant then head to prison bar afterwards. However, trying to get a taxi in China on New Year’s Eve has the exact same difficulty as in England and after 30 minutes of waiting and seeing no taxis, I got a lift with a security guard that I recognised from a nearby area. Picture the scene, I was riding on a scooter, all dressed up and it was about minus 5 degrees, brilliant. He dropped me off at the apparently correct location but I soon realised it was wrong.

He had dropped me the wrong end of the longest road ever. I decided to start walking down in the right direction and then one of my friend’s went past on a pushbike and saw me. Cue me getting a ‘backy’ for at least 3 miles down a very busy, heavy traffic road on a pushbike with no seat. I just about arrived in one piece to the restaurant and practically ran inside after 90 minutes of being outside in the cold. The food itself was lovely (although a Chinese man next to me vomited his dinner up. Why do they always do this!?) and we ventured to Prison bar about 10pm. The place was packed full of people ready to celebrate the start of 2015. On the countdown to midnight we opened some champagne and then I taught all my Chinese friends the ‘dance’ to Auld Lang Syne.

After a surprisingly good evening, I went to get a taxi home, but even that wasn’t trauma free. My taxi driver decided that I had not exclusively hired the taxi and kept stopping to ask people if they wanted to go in the same direction. Eventually a guy got in and we arrived at my stop. The taxi driver then decided to try and make me pay the full price of the cab ride, even though there was another passenger. My Chinese may be awful but he definitely picked the wrong laowi (foreigner) to mess with. Cue me offering him half the cab fare and jumping out the taxi. Ellis 1: stupid taxi driver 0.






Tofu loaf!







New Year’s Day at home usually involves me lounging around the house in pyjamas and then having a huge dinner later on. Seeing as the dinner wasn’t a possibility for me this year (crying over the fact that I missed the 5 bird roast), Dean and I headed to Burger King in search of hangover food. I spent the afternoon eating my whopper burger and watching ‘Drop Dead Fred’, one of my favourite childhood movies. Then, I had to pack for the Hot Springs trip the next day, and ended up packing a suitcase for a overnight stay. Nightmare.




Friday morning, 9am, and Dean and I headed to get a taxi to Fujiapo bus station to meet Ivan, Olivi and Will. We bought our tickets and waited for Olivi and Will to arrive. They arrived at approximately 10.08am leaving us 2 minutes until our bus left. I started my trip sprinting through the bus station with a pull-along case! The bus to Yingchen was only supposed to take an hour but in that time, we hadn’t even got out of Wuhan. 3 hours later, after a stop at another bus station where the bus got crammed full of people, we arrived in Yingchen and had to wait for a local bus. This next bus was so full we had to stand, and I had to keep turning in different directions as all the locals were trying to take pictures of me!


Fujiapo bus station

Bus tickets




The local bus

Finally, we arrived at Tangchi Hot Springs and found a guesthouse to stay in for the night for just 30RMB each (£3!). Our bathroom had no door and our room had no key to lock it, but they were minor issues and after grabbing some food, we finally headed to the hot springs centre. It seemed that every Chinese person had also decided to visit on this day and the place was packed. Even worse, I was the only girl and had to go into the changing rooms by myself. After fighting over a clean towel but unsuccessfully managing to get flip-flops, I managed to find my locker and went to meet the guys.


The remainder of our bathroom door!



Lunch - fish, smoked pork with bamboo, garlic pak choi and rice


Hot springs entrance

The hot springs centre is an outdoor place, with pools of different temperatures dotted around. There are also saunas, a sandpit where you can get buried, an indoor swimming pool, a wave pool, and mini water park. You walk around in your towel or robe and then choose which spring you want to go in. Our second spring was a hot one and we stayed in there quite a while. However, when we got out, we realised that our towels and shoes had been taken! The Chinese are brutal – they’d even left us their wet towels as a gift! This meant running to every other pool until we stole someone else’s towels and flip-flops later on. Well, if you can’t beat ‘em then join ‘em.

After 3 hours in the springs, we went upstairs to a lounge area. I couldn’t find how to get to it from my changing room, so had to run through the men’s changing room with a towel on my head! I successfully made it and we got some free fruit, snacks and drinks to have whilst relaxing. We were the only people in swimwear and towels / robes, as the Chinese were all dressed so we got some very funny looks. At 7pm, we headed back down the springs, hoping that most of the Chinese would have gone by now and we were lucky. The place was becoming empty and we found a small hot tub size spring to have all to ourselves. After some sneaky trips back to the locker, we spent the evening in our hot tub with drinks and snacks and even got to watch some fireworks.

8 hours of water makes you seriously hungry, so just before midnight we left the resort and went in search of food. Opposite the entrance were lots of outdoor restaurants, selling barbeque and fried rice or noodles. I had some chow mien and then we all headed back to our guest room. After taking some pictures on the Polaroid camera, we all went to bed. I’d had a fantastic day but I was exhausted!


Chow mien




Unimpressed by how cold it was!



Our bathrrom door handle








On Saturday morning, we made our way back home. The bus to Yingchen was pretty relaxed but at the bus station there, we were told that bus tickets to Wuhan had sold out. This would mean going to Hankou – a different district nearby to us so we decided to buy those and then headed out to find lunch before our long ride home. When we came back to the bus station, there was a huge queue of people and we realised that everyone else was also trying to get to Hankou. Normally, being a foreigner doesn’t help you in these situations, but one of the workers told us that we could skip the line and get on the bus – best moment ever! The bus got more and more packed as we headed home and people ended up sitting on stools and buckets in the aisle!
Everywhere had meat and fish drying in the sun



Lunch at Yingchen



Market at Yingchen

Market at Yingchen

The queue for Hankou buses!

Our extremely full bus!

We arrived in Hankou and then had to try to get the subway across town home. Weekends on the subway are horrendously busy and I was squashed into a corner for most of the ride home. Dean and I were so tired that when we left our subway station, we took a scooter taxi the rest of the way home. I spent Saturday evening lying in an exhausted state eating chocolate chip cookies. Tangchi hot springs trip you were amazing but I don’t think I have ever used so many types of transport in a 48 hour period!

I’m so glad that today is Sunday and I’m not working, because I needed the day off to recuperate! I’ve spent the morning doing chores with all the windows and balcony door open as it’s lovely and sunny. I’ve also taken all my Christmas decorations down, which is a job I hate doing but it’s nice to have a clutter free apartment again. I then went to get my veg and some lunch in just a t-shirt and everyone kept stroking my arms looking concerned at me! Tonight, I am going to relax and cook some dinner before my last week of teaching begins. 6 exams left and 200 students to grade and then my winter break begins!

xxxx