The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Saturday 13 December 2014

Christmas and culture....

I’m definitely starting to feel festive now that December 25th is fast approaching. Along with the morning excitement of my Advent calendar, lots of shops and coffee shops are playing Christmas songs and I even found a small Christmas decoration section at my local supermarket! I was so tempted by the snowman boppers but I refrained and decided instead to be grown up and spend that money on washing powder. Such a mature, 22 year old decision.

It is now freezing cold and the heating has FINALLY been turned on at the university. Nothing like waiting until Winter is practically over. Chinese people are just not adept to cold weather - most people fashion a two piece quilted pyjama set for daywear and I have even spotted a husky on its morning walk dressed in a top and bottoms.

As it’s coming to the end of term and the students have their exam to prepare for, I decided to do an activities lesson this week with lots of speaking games. The students LOVED it. They were so enthusiastic and motivated and some of the quiet ones were even talking to me. They also loved it even more when I let them go 5 minutes early – this never happens in a Chinese university!
  
My biggest class - 46 students
I used to sort of dread my tutoring lesson with my little kids because of how tiring they are but I do really enjoy it now, especially now their English is improving. This week, I started to introduce Christmas and they learnt the whole of Jingle Bells. Every time one of the kids sees me in our neighbourhood they start singing to me! Also, one child has also learnt how to write their name in English and gave me a drawing with her name on – very proud moment.

On Friday, I finally got round to seeing some culture at the Hubei Provincial museum in Donghu, with my friend Janet. It is a free museum so I wasn’t expecting much but it was very interesting. They have a tomb and its contents from an Earl of the Ming Dynasty. Also, the museum is set in beautiful grounds with bonsai trees (my favourites!). I’m just fascinated by how these trees look! Museum looking is hungry work so Janet took me to a VERY posh restaurant. This place has a 1 year waiting list if you want your wedding there. My coat and scarf were placed in a dust protector bag on arrival and the food was incredible. I will definitely be going back there. 
Donghu, Wuhan
Art gallery

The view of the city from the balcony

Bonsai tree

An old dustpan and brush
Casket of the Earl
Items found in the tomb

Wine vessel used at banquets and weddings
Kang Long Tai Zi restaurant


My coat and scarf in a dust protector bag!

(from front) Fish, green beans and pork ribs


Tofu crab chowder

Beef and potatoes in a pepper sauce with wild rice

On Friday night, Dean and I tried but failed to make it out. Instead, we found a pizza place in our neighbourhood and ordered pizza. It was like a Chinese Domino's because they even had side orders!



On Saturday, I went to help out at the kids club at Mr Mai’s and we were learning about the ‘12 days of Christmas song’. Trying to explain the difference between a partridge, goose and turtle dove in broken Chinese was difficult! Anyway, after that was over it was back to my apartment to help Dean prep for his party. I unknowingly took on the role of head chef and had to make the majority of the party food. This went down a storm once everyone had a few drinks later on. The party itself was made funnier by drinking Jenga, but sadly, I lost.


Homemade KFC chicken

Dean and Brendan prepping for the party

Will and Paul


Rob, Paul, Daddy, Will and Olivi

Today, of course, is Sunday and the weather is beautiful outside so I’ve got all my windows open (in December I know!) and I’m going to relax ready for a crazy week next week. I may also use some of my bargain washing powder to clean my clothes. Every month the date which has the same day and month number e.g. 12th December = 12/12, means that everything becomes really cheap in China, both online and in supermarkets. So my washing powder, which is normally about £5 for 3 litres cost me just £2.50 yesterday – very exciting!

xxxxx

P.s. 11 days until Christmas!!

P.p.s - the struggles I face when trying to buy food in China are shown below. Note: There is 10 RMB to 1 English £ and so all of this food is less than a £1. 


A typical Chinese menu



My favourite noodle dish - Rou si mian (pork noodles)