The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014
The start of my year abroad: Manchester Airport - 22nd September 2014

Sunday 12 October 2014

You all speak English?!

I have had the best week since arriving in China, especially this weekend. I started my teaching to the freshers who were so much keener than I was when I went to uni. I have 8am lessons four days a week and so on my first morning I arrived at about 7.45am. There were at least 80% of the students already there waiting! I just hope this level of keenness continues. The lessons themselves are straightforward. I am teaching English listening (but I’ve deduced that this must also involve speaking) and so I teach the same lesson 8 times a week. Lesson planning time = 1 hour A WEEK!

Had a very proud moment this week learning how to catch the campus bus. I live a 40-minute walk from my teaching building, which isn’t too bad in nice weather. However, being a girl and therefore highly impractical, I have brought very little suitable footwear. Catching the bus home means only a 15-minute walk, which is much more appealing, especially if I have a split day and go home in-between classes. Another bonus...the bus costs 10p a journey.

The faculty where I work

Oh hey chalkboard

My teaching building with all the classrooms in

The campus bus!


With classes out of the way, it meant that I had a whole weekend off to enjoy. I haven’t had a weekend off work in about 7 years so by 11am on Saturday morning I was horrendously bored. I decided to go exploring and firstly ventured to a nearby hotel to see if it was any good for when my mum, dad and sister come to stay. It turned out to be lovely and the beds seem much comfier than mine! On the way back I decided to pop into a coffee shop called Mr Mai’s. I’d read about the place on the internet, and knew that the owners were American, so I was very excited to go and get a proper coffee.

It was the best decision I’ve made since coming to Wuhan. Within seconds of entering I was greeted by everyone in the café and had ordered a tea with milk (hurrah) and brownie with ice-cream!! The owners (Faith and David) introduced themselves and it was so refreshing to speak English and also have people so genuinely nice have a proper conversation with me. Anyway, I ended up talking to David and he explained that Chinese people come to the café for a language club where native English speakers volunteer to talk English with them and play games. Before I knew it, I had volunteered myself and was talking to a group of Chinese people! I am going to volunteer here on Friday evenings and occasional Saturdays so I’m really looking forward to it.

Craig, who is in charge of the volunteers invited me for dinner with his wife, two adopted Chinese daughters and his niece, who is visiting from America. We ate some amazing food and I even got homemade banana bread for dessert. I went to the coffee shop at 2pm that day and didn’t leave until 9pm!

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided to tackle the subway. The Wuhan metro was surprisingly easy to use, mainly because of everything also being in English. I bought a city card, which I can use on buses and the subway around Wuhan so that I’m not worrying about change and got off at Baotong temple to visit the Buddhist monument. It was incredible. There were many different buildings for people to go and pray in, although I had to lots of walking up steps! There was a huge queue for some free food offered by the monks and people were queuing up with bowls and tubs that they had brought with them! It was a beautiful day so I got some amazing pictures. I spent a couple of hours there and then went home to have a lazy film afternoon...perfect.

Today = back to teaching but I do get Monday mornings off!

One of the Buddhas

Baotong Temple

So so beautiful

You buy a ribbon and tie it somewhere in the temple to bring you good luck